Your baby needs special skin care for his soft and delicate skin. Skin care for babies are important for retaining the normal moisture balance and preventing dry and chapped skin. Read on to know about the basics of baby skin care and the usage of baby skin care products like baby soap, baby shampoo, baby oils, baby creams and baby powder.
Baby Skin Care Tips
- Young babies do not need to be bathed frequently. Topping and tailing are quite appropriate, instead. Care should be taken to keep the face and bottom of the baby absolutely clean.
- Always use a mild baby soap enriched with herbal extracts for washing the baby.
- Use a mild baby shampoo for cleaning your baby’s hair. Do not buy shampoos that contain triethanolamine (TEA) or diethanolamine (DEA).
- Avoid giving bubble baths to your baby. These are the primary causes for urinary tract infections and vaginitis in babies.
- Use baby powder on the creases and folds of the baby’s skin to prevent diaper rash. Use baby powder made from bentonite clay or cornstarch. Do not use baby powder that contains talc and fragrances.
- Always opt for baby lotions that contain aloe vera, chamomile, arnica, marigold or calendula. Do not buy lotions that contains DEA, TEA or lanolin, unless it is pesticide free.
- Baby’s skin can often break out in heat rashes. A soothing bath and loose, comfortable clothing helps to alleviate the conditions.
- ‘Cradle cap’ can develop in the first few weeks of the baby’s life. You can wash the baby’s scalp with soap and water on a daily basis. You can also use a soft brush on the scalp to get rid of the condition. Massaging a small quantity of mineral oil on the baby’s scalp can help to get rid of the condition.
Skin care for babies is of the utmost importance, since improper skin care for can lead to skin infections, scarring and other problems.